Young Person Course
Mental Health First Aid: Young People course is relevant for anyone who supports young people aged between 11 and 17. This includes, for example, parents, teachers, school nurses, youth workers, mentors, sports coaches and social workers. The course will give confidence in approaching a young person in distress and at no point does it train people to be mental health workers, counsellors or therapists. Mental Health First Aid is an initial response to distress and a pro-active approach to recognise signs and symptoms of poor mental health in young people. All participants on the course understand that this help is given only until other suitable or professional help can be found.
How long does the course take to complete?
It takes 14 hours to complete, using blended learning, divided into three parts.
It is presented with pre and post online modules or paper workbooks, as well as undertaking a face to face training day with other participants. All parts are guided by one of our qualified NHS Health Scotland SMHFA instructor to ensure consistent quality.
Aim of the course:
- To provide participants with a better understanding of young people’s mental health including depression and anxiety, eating disorders, bullying, self-harm, suicide and substance misuse.
- To equip participants with mental health first aid skills.
- How to recognise the signs of mental health problems or distress.
- How to ask a young person about mental distress – how to provide initial comfort and support. How to have that difficult conversation.
- How to guide a young person towards professional help and other support.
Completion of the course:
After completing all three parts of the course, each participant receives an NHS Health Scotland certificate confirming their ‘Scotland’s Mental Health First Aider for Young People’ status along with a copy of the SMHFA:YP Manual.
Cost: £950 per course. Maximum of 16 candidates. Includes tuition throughout, one day training session, certificate, manual and online materials.
Don’t hesitate to reach out with the contact information provided, or send a message using the form.